This past Tuesday we held our first “Breakfast with Us” gathering of the year!
It was chilly outside, but the coffee was hot! Our goal is to offer timely, interesting and educational topics each month- it’s one way we empower you to Live Invested! This month’s topic was How the New Tax Law Impacts Estate Planning and More.
A poll from Statista.com taken on January 2nd found that the third most common goal for 2018 is to save more money.
We all know there are various ways to save money; one could:
- Get a second job or a side job
- Automate monthly contributions to your savings account
- Cut the (cable) cord
- Review household expenses such as internet or phone
A US News study says about 80% of resolutions fail by mid-February!
The odds seem to be against us; however, we’ve found that by implementing small, sustainable changes over time, rather than setting a too many unrealistic ones, keeping your resolutions might come more naturally.
As financial planners, we notice more ways to save or stretch your money…
We encourage clients to explore options like:
- Find a lower interest rate on your loans
- Minimize taxable income
- Get bids every few years on your home and auto insurance
- Review your legacy plan
Our guest speaker and local attorney, Scott Griswold, discussed how the new tax law impacts estate planning and stressed the importance having your legal documents in order.
Our three key takeaways from the presentation:
- Review your estate planning documents every three years or after any significant life event to ensure they continue to express your wishes;
- Talk with your family and professional advisors about your estate planning goals and expectations; and
- The recently enacted tax legislation creates significant opportunities for streamlining estate plans, reducing administrative costs, and encouraging charitable giving.
It’s small changes like these, you could schedule to make over the course of 2018 that could help you save money and leave a legacy for your family.
We enjoy hosting events because it helps us do three things: Express our appreciation to our clients, remind people of our values, and provide a quality experience for everyone involved.
We work to empower those we serve to Live Invested.
If you, or someone you love would like to know more or has questions, shoot us a message using the form below! Or give us a call! Our offices are open Monday through Friday 8am – 5pm.